World Arrows International School


Why did you create an online international school?

We thought that by making international schools more accessible, we could increase Japanese people’s time with English. When we conducted a survey, we found that the reasons why international schools were not more accessible were: 1) geographical problems, 2) high tuition, and 3) people thought they had to choose between international schools and Japanese schools. So, in thinking about how to solve these three problems, we came up with an online method.

Online, you can participate no matter where you live, so it solves the geographical problem. In addition, going online allows us to reduce material costs, which reduces the cost of tuition. In order to change the perception that there are two choices , we have decided to provide an environment where students can attend both Japanese and international schools by adjusting the curriculum to allow students to study after returning home from school in Japan.

There is no need to spend time going back and forth by using an online system, and since we are at home, there is no need to worry about returning home at night. We hope to provide an environment where those who have previously given up on international schools can learn English via the online method.

Why does WAIS have a partnership?

Partnerships allow us to provide our students with a learning environment similar to that of studying locally in the United States.

For example, by partnering with the University of Missouri, we are able to share the same curriculum, materials, educational policies, and educational delivery methods that have been in place for over 100 years. In addition, students will be able to obtain an academic degree from a world-renowned school. We believe that by receiving a traditional education with a long history, students will think more globally.

PBL education is still in the experimental stage in Japan but has already been approved in the US. Centric Learning Academy has more than ten years of experience in this field. By forming a partnership with them, we can immediately provide a high level of education by sharing proven PBL materials, curriculum, how to provide learning, and how to proceed. We hope to help bring out the hidden talents of students who feel limited by the Japanese way of learning.

We hope that by allowing as many Japanese students as possible to learn the kind of educational content generally seen in the US, we can provide them with an opportunity to play an active role in the world in the future. We have decided that the best way to do this is to form a partnership.

Are there any requirements for admission?

There are no requirements. Anyone is welcome to enroll.

Can I enroll even if I have never studied English before?

Yes, you can enroll even if you have never studied English before.

Do students need to be proficient in Japanese?

No, Japanese language proficiency is not required as the goal is to obtain an American diploma.

Do both parents and children need to be able to speak English before enrolling?

No, it is not required as we have Japanese language staff. Communication from the school and inquiries to the school and teachers are usually done in Japanese or English.

How do you coordinate and communicate with our school and parents? Can we use Japanese?

We use basic e-mail and services such as Zoom to communicate and discuss. Japanese staff will also be available to report on learning results, so whether you speak Japanese or English is no problem.

This is not an environment where English is spoken at home.

Some international schools may ask students to refrain from using Japanese, but at WAIS, we do not believe that students should be exposed to English at home, as we want them to study for the purpose of obtaining a double diploma. However, we require students to have the English skills necessary to obtain the diploma, so we ask for support at home.

Will students be learning alone while watching the videos?

No, Students do not study by watching videos alone, typically seen in e-learning. There are limits to this, especially with children. They will be taught by an actual instructor using the online system in real time.

How old do I have to be to join?

We offer a learning environment for all ages, so by choosing the right course and class, infants and mothers can join together, or older people can join as a hobby.

Is there an entrance exam or selection process for admission?

There is no general entrance exam or selection process. However, since we need to know the level of the students, we ask them to take a written test and, if necessary, an interview.

Is it always possible to obtain a high school diploma in the US?

No, it is not automatic. You will still need to follow the curriculum by submitting assignments, attending classes, and taking tests. We will discuss this with the University of Missouri and the instructors at Centric Learning Academy to determine if the student’s overall performance meets the US graduation standards and if we can award the degree.

Are students only allowed to enroll in April or September?

Students can enroll at any time. However, if there are no openings in a class, students may be asked to wait.

What is the difference between April and September enrollment?

As the US school year begins in September, WAIS also starts in September, and students who begin in April have the advantage of getting familiar with English earlier and earning some credits.

What kind of documents do I need to submit for admission?

You will need to submit an application form and a copy of your passport or insurance card. If you wish to have your credits recognized, you will need to submit a recommendation form and a grade evaluation report from your school.

Are there any information sessions?

Yes, the schedule for information sessions is always posted on the website.

Is it possible to observe a class?

Yes, information about observation is posted on the website.

What is the application process?

Attend an information session (if necessary)

Visit the school (if necessary)

Fill out the application form

Admission evaluation (the primary purpose is to check your motivation and English level)

Submit school fees

What is the maximum number of students in a class?

In the case of the Traditional Course’s “University Prep Class” and “Elective Class,” the class size will be around 40 students.

In the case of PBL classes in the Alternative Course, the class size is about 15 students.

How are the classes divided?

Students are generally divided according to their English level.

Are there any international students?

We are planning to enroll international students. All nationalities are welcome to enroll.

How long is one class session?

Each class session will be 40 minutes.

What should I do if I can’t attend a class?

We will maintain a recording of the class for about a week, so you can watch and learn from it.

Can I study languages other than English?

For high school students, there are elective courses in which you can study a foreign language in addition to Japanese.

What is the level of the curriculum and materials?

For the Traditional Course, the curriculum and materials are from K to G12, and for the Alternative Course, the curriculum and materials are from G4 to G12.

 Is there a financial aid plan for tuition, etc.?

We do not currently offer any financial aid.

Is WAIS the same as English conversation?

WAIS teaches elementary through high school subjects in English, which is not the same as English conversation.

Do you have summer school?

As a basic intensive course, we plan to start in August after 2023.

How are regular exams and grades evaluated, and what is the grading scale?

In the case of the “Prep Class” of the Traditional Course, students will be evaluated according to the evaluation standards set by the University of Missouri. PBL classes in the alternative courses are evaluated according to the standards set by the Centric Learning Academy, but both are assessed according to the standards set in the United States.

What are the possibilities after obtaining an American high school diploma?

You can enter any university in the world that recognizes your American high school diploma. The evaluation standards in Japan and the US are different. American-style evaluations are more likely to result in higher grades, which increases your chances of getting into a prestigious American university.

What should I do if I need help with my classes?

By using the online tutoring system operated by WAIS, you can learn classes one-on-one for a low price. We strongly encourage you to make the most of this.

What kind of teacher will be in charge of the class?

The international teacher in charge of the class will be a native English speaker, but depending on the field, a specialized teacher may be chosen. However, specialized instructors may be chosen depending on the field of study, such as a German instructor for German classes. All of the instructors will have received training from the University of Missouri or the Centric Learning Academy and will be approved as instructors. Each semester, teachers are trained to deliver the curriculum effectively.

Can students returning from abroad apply for transfer?

We accept transfer applications at any time, depending on the timing of your return. Please get in touch with us for details.

Do you accept students from international schools in Japan?

We accept students from international schools in Japan who are concerned about keeping up with IB classes and GCSE and A level exams.

What kind of educational background can I get from studying at WAIS?

If you choose the “Prep Class” of the Traditional Course, you will graduate from a high school affiliated with Missouri University. If you choose “PBL Class” in the Alternative Course, you will graduate from Centric Learning Academy. Both will qualify you for admission to any college or university in the United States.

Can I be expelled?

Students can be expelled if they are disruptive to other students. In addition, legal action may be taken if the behavior is malicious.

Are there any classes for schooling?

Because of the advantages of schooling, we plan to establish them in stages where there are many applicants.

What kind of cultural attributes do you have at the school?

There will mainly be Japanese students, but we plan to add students from other Asian countries in the future.

Is the school affiliated with any particular religion?

No, we are a religiously neutral school and welcome people of all races, religions, and cultures.

Is WAIS accredited by a school accrediting agency?

WAIS has partnered with the University of Missouri and Centric Learning Academy, both of which are accredited in the United States, to provide approved curriculum and materials and provide an environment in which students can earn a diploma from the University of Missouri High School or Centric Learning. WAIS is currently in the process of being approved as a member of Cognia and receiving support to become accredited.

 What is Cognia?

Schools accredited by Cognia are recognized as accredited schools in the United States.

1895: The North Central Association-Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI), founded in 1895, is a non-profit organization that accredits public and private schools and districts.

In April 2006, the North Central Association, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS CASI), and the National Study of School Evaluation (NSSE) merged to form AdvancED.

2019: AdvancED|Measured Progress, the result of the merger of two leading education nonprofits, changes its name to Cognia™.

Cognia continues to provide accreditation, assessment, professional services, and consulting to partner schools, giving them help to improve. When schools need to improve, we provide them with the solutions they need and offer innovations to help them achieve good results.

What is ASCI?

It stands for Association of Christian Schools International.

It is an educational accreditation organization headquartered in the United Kingdom.

It is useful as a worldwide qualification, and those over 18 years old who have completed 12 years of study at an ASCI-accredited school are qualified to enter universities (including those in Japan).

What is CIS?

CIS stands for Council of International Schools.

It is an international educational accreditation organization headquartered in the United Kingdom.

Students who have completed 12 years of study at a CIS-accredited school and are 18 years of age or older are eligible to enter universities (including those in Japan).

What is WASC?

WASC stands for The Western Association of Schools and Colleges.

The Western Association of Schools and Colleges is an educational accreditation organization headquartered in the United States.

Students who have completed 12 years of study at a WASC-accredited school and are 18 years of age or older are eligible to enter universities (including those in Japan).

What is the IB (International Baccalaureate)?

IB stands for International Baccalaureate.

It is an international educational program offered by the International Baccalaureate Organization (headquartered in Geneva).

Students take a designated educational program and are finally evaluated on a 45-point scale.

The IB certificate and transcript are required for admission to universities.

Students can apply to overseas universities by submitting a certificate of IB completion and transcripts along with the required documents.

In recent years, IB entrance examinations have been spreading among universities in Japan. Using these examinations, students can take the examinations based on IB scores, interviews, and essays, without having to take the Common Test or secondary examinations.

What is GCSE / GCE?

GCSE stands for General Certificate of Secondary Education, General Certificate of Education.

GCSE / GCE stands for General Certificate of Secondary Education, General Certificate of Education, and is taken when a student completes compulsory education (ages 5-16) in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

This is followed by a further two years of higher education in a course called the Sixth Form, and at the end of which the GCE is taken.

The results are graded from A to E, which is the university entrance exam.

What is IGSE?

IGSE stands for International General Certificate of Secondary Education.

It is the international version of the national exam called GCSE in the UK.

What is SAT / ACT?

Abbreviation for Scholastic Assessment Test, American College Testing.

It is a standardized test that students take when entering an American university. Most universities in the US require applicants to submit one of these scores. Some universities make an exception for international students.

What is the SSAT?

SSAT stands for Secondary School Admission Test.

It is the high school version of the SAT.

What is TEAP?

TEAP stands for Test of English for Academic Purposes.

It is a score-based English proficiency test jointly developed by the English Language Proficiency Test Association of Japan and Sophia University. It can be used as an external English test for some university entrance examinations.

What is IELTS?

IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System.

It is a test to assess the English language proficiency of people who wish to study, work, or move to English-speaking countries, including the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the United Kingdom.

What is Abitur?

The German examination system.

There are basically no university-specific entrance exams in Germany, but rather a system that allows students to enter any university or department by passing an exam called the Abitur exam.